Traveling Minors – country-specific regulations

SOME countries have special conditions for minors entering or exiting the country.

Travel from/to the USA and Canada

Children and teenagers under the age of 18 travelling to/from an airport in the USA, and under the age of 19 travelling to/from an airport in Canada, require a notarized consent letter from their parents or legal guardians. If a child or teenager is travelling with only one parent or guardian the notarized consent letter from the parent/guardian who is not travelling with them is required. If a parent/legal guardian has sole custody, then proof of sole custody must be presented.

Minors who cannot produce proper consent letters may be refused boarding by the respective airline.

Please contact the nearest Consulate of the country to which you are traveling for information regarding additional documents that may be required. Further information is also available at for the United States and for Canada. 

Travel from/to South Africa

On entering and leaving the country, children and teenagers under 18 travelling alone must, among other documentation, present a declaration of consent from their parents or single parent or legal guardian that confirms that the child may enter and leave the Republic of South Africa.

Children and teenagers under 18 years of age travelling alone must also carry their original birth certificate or a copy of their birth certificate with them on entering and leaving the country.

In addition, the parents’ contact details, a letter including the home address, contact details and residence permit of the person who will be meeting the child in the Republic of South Africa and a copy of this person’s ID card must be presented.

Should the child or teenager be travelling with only one parent or legal guardian, the notarized consent of the parent/legal guardian who is not travelling with the child must be brought along.

If a single parent/legal guardian has sole custody of the child, evidence of this sole custody must be produced.

You will find further information on the Republic of South Africa’s entry and exit regulations under Entry of children to, or their exit from, the Republic of South Africa.

Travel from Italy

Every child of Italian nationality, who is under 14 years old and is travelling alone or accompanied by persons who are not their parents or legal guardians, must hold a fully completed declaration, the so-called Dichiarazione di affido (Law No. 1185/67), which can be obtained from the local police station (Questura) (not from the airport police). In the case of children travelling alone this PROCEDURE IS OBLIGATORY FOR UNACCOMPANIED MINORS.

This declaration must be carried together with the child’s passport. If the documentation is incomplete, the child may be refused boarding by the respective airline.

You can find further information on the website of the Polizia di Stato, the Italian National Police (in Italian only).

Travel from Romania

Minors – Romanian nationals – under 18 years of age, holding a Romanian passport or Romanian ID card (for travel within EU)

  • traveling alone from a Romanian airport, must carry a written, officially authorized declaration of consent for travel from parent(s) or legal guardian(s), issued by a notary. This also applies if the children are travelling accompanied by adults other than parents or legal guardians. On request, “unaccompanied minors service” may be provided by the airline.
  • traveling from a Romanian airport accompanied only by one of their parents, should be holding an officially authorized (issued by a notary) declaration of consent for travel from the other parent.
  • the official declaration of consent issued by a notary should be authorized before the date of 
    departure, it cannot be authorized or issued by the airport border police.

The minor passenger may be refused boarding by the respective airline if the required paperwork is not provided before embarkation. You may find further information at (Conditii de calatorie -> Minori) or calling the Bucharest Border Police local number + 40 21 9590.

Travel from Moldova

Minors – Moldova nationals – under 18 years of age, holding a passport issued by the Republic of Moldova may travel ex Moldova only accompanied by adults – their parent(s) or legal guardian(s).

Under special conditions, minors travelling to/from place of study may be accepted on board flights departing from Moldova, after mandatory written consent is provided. There is no possibility to grant travel authorization on departure, at the airport.

Important: the minor may be refused boarding if the required paperwork is not provided to responsible authorities. You may find further information at